Just doing a bit of work before dinner to prepare for a client meeting tomorrow, and I noticed that a thread on the aptly-named "Greedy Associates" message board has been discussing my post from a few weeks ago about not giving an offer to a girl who omitted from her resume her membership in the Federalist Society, and whether I didn't give her an offer because she didn't tell the truth, or because she was a Federalist. I hope the person who asked the question isn't an associate here, because I'm not impressed with his or her reasoning skills. Why would I care that she's a Federalist? I care that she lied. I couldn't care less what political affiliation an associate has as long as they do the work. I mean, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to hire an avowed Communist, but within reason it doesn't much matter. That's not to say there aren't certain student organizations that raise red flags -- musical groups make me fear I will have to listen to someone humming in the hallways whenever they pass, and that really annoys me and I don't want to deal with it. Listing meaningless positions in fourteen different organizations -- "social director," "publicity manager," "membership chair" -- doesn't thrill me. And whenever someone has "mock trial" listed on their resume, I like to ask them if they enjoy being in a courtroom. Because if the answer's yes, guess what? You're not working here, because you're not going to see a courtroom for four years. But if you're on the "mock document review" team, you've got an offer on the spot.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar