There are days when I'm very generous to the associates who work under me. I try to give them as much freedom as possible with regard to their schedules, I try to make sure they understand the context of their assignments so dry tasks don't seem quite so bad, I leave the truly heinous jobs for the paralegals, I praise them for a job well done.... And then there are days when I'm a jackass. Today is one of those days. I'm not in a very good mood -- I didn't get a chance to play golf yesterday, I got an angry e-mail from a client, and my wife thinks I should mow the lawn myself while I think we should just hire someone to do it for us even if it costs more than it should -- so I got into the office about a half-hour ago, and decided I'm going to make someone's day miserable, just for fun. I decided today would be a good day to have an associate "update our relationship information" at some of my more important clients. Which means calling into them and making sure all of the same people still work there, and seeing if there are any problems brewing that they just hadn't gotten a chance to come to us with. Trolling for business, basically -- but also updating records and making sure everything's fine. Because there's a chance they'll really have a legal question, I can't have a paralegal do it. So I've got a sixth-year associate who -- once she gets into the office -- will spend about 12 hours today on the phone. I mean, it's something that has to be done every so often. I'm not sure there's any reason why it has to be done today. Or by this particular associate. But oh well, too bad for her.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar