Why am I still in the office? I promised Anonymous Son I'd quiz him on his spelling words tonight, but I'm not going to make it home anytime soon. One of my associates came in this morning threatening to quit. We don't want her to leave. We're trying to figure out what the problem is and get her to stay. Losing our best people isn't a good thing. It happens, but it isn't good. They go on to other firms and badmouth us. We lose reputation points. It's not good. I don't mind when it's for understandable reasons. Someone left a few months ago because he missed his kids. He used to live close to the office, and he'd see his kids in the morning before he left for work. Then he moved to a bigger place, longer drive, and wouldn't see them. And he was getting home to late to see them at night. So he became a weekend dad. On the weekends he didn't work. And felt like he was depriving his kids of a parent. So he quit the practice and does in-house work now, with better hours and a happier balance. Works for him. So more power to him. I respect the decision. But when someone just wants to go to another firm, then it bothers me. Because we shouldn't be driving people away. There's no reason to lose people to competitors. Not that we're necessarily the best, but there's no reason why we can't be -- and if someone's here already, and we like them, I don't want to lose them. If this is a power play on this associate's part, it's working. She's gonna come out of this with some real gains, if she plays her hand right. Maybe a parking spot.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar