I'm working from home this morning, before the kids get up -- although I hear rumblings, and a television, so I know my minutes are numbered. Numbered, but billable. An associate came into my office late yesterday afternoon and told me she's leaving. I told her that was probably a good idea, because she was never going to make partner. As I said it, I realized that had she been kidding -- "Oh, I was just teasing. I'd never leave you." -- I'd have been in a real bad spot. But luckily she was serious. So off she goes. She and her 1500 billables last year, her grating personality, and her obsession with pro bono work. I don't know why people come to large firms, and then expect to be given the freedom to work on cases we don't get paid for. If you want to make the law firm salary, and live the law firm life, you should have to do law firm work. I don't know why people bristle when I say that. There are lots of great organizations out there that do pro bono work, and if that's what someone wants to do, they should work there. Otherwise, if they do pro bono work from here, they're taking jobs from people who really want to do pro bono work full-time, and they're costing the firm money. A little bit here and there is fine -- when you're young, to get it out of your system; or when you're old, to help justify your seven-figure salary. But in between, I just don't understand. Office workers don't use company time and company resources to help poor people. They do it on their own time. This whole culture of pro bono work at large firms -- this fetishization, almost -- is bizarre to me. If that's the kind of work you want to do, you're free to go do it -- but leave my paper clips here. Because every paper clip you take and give to the battered women's legal defense association, or whatever they're called, is another three seconds your colleagues have to work to keep the firm's profitability at the same level. It sounds heartless, but we're a business. We give lots of money to charity. We don't need to give time too.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar