An e-mail from a reader:



"What exactly are these 'must-haves' [Blackberries] used for? I can understand an important client wanting instant access to their attorney, but how big a role do these play in your daily life? At what level are they really necessary? First year? Partner?"



I don't think it's an understatement to say that Blackberries have revolutionized the way we work. From my perspective, they've completely changed my expectations for associates. It used to be that I would understand if I didn't get a quick reply back from an e-mail sent over the weekend or late at night. Now, there's no excuse. Blackberries have made us better service providers because we can work from anywhere, at any time. It's not just clients who want answers. If I happen to be thinking about a case late at night, and need a quick answer -- is there case law on this, have we thought about this, etc -- I can get an answer right away, or at least know that someone will be working on it. It's very nice. On the flipside, they've also added freedom, because if you're checking your Blackberry, I don't care where you are. You can go to lunch. You can go to the bathroom. You can run home to your son's birthday party. As long as you're checking the Blackberry, you're free to leave the office. Associates enjoy that freedom, I think, and have the Blackberry to thank. They've very quickly become indispensable.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar