I'm in the airport waiting for my flight. Decided not to push myself too hard with a flight too early in the day. I'm chalking up today to travel and hopefully will just swing by the office on the way back to check up on things but won't stay long.



To answer a question in the comments: I normally fly coach, actually. The client pays enough for me already, and any money the firm kicks in for the upgrade is really just money out of my own pocket. I'm not sure what my colleagues do, but I've never found the upgrade worth it. The food's still terrible. It's still an airplane. I'd rather spend the money on tickets to a Dodgers game.



Dinner last night in Chinatown was a nice change of pace. My friend was telling me about the uproar at his firm over too few in-house promotions to the partnership. Apparently for the past 5 or 6 years, all of the new partners in his department have been laterals, brought in from outside the firm. This year, 3 senior associates who've been at the firm their entire careers are up for partner, and there's talk that if at least 1 or 2 them don't make it, there's going to be a mass exodus. It's hard to string people along with the promise of becoming a partner if they literally never see it come to fruition. A few token promotions can make the dream seem possible for everyone -- like the handicapped parking spot analogy -- everyone thinks that spot could have been theirs. Frankly, I'm a little appalled that the firm even feels some pressure to promote from within just to placate people -- it's a business, we need stars. If the people from within aren't cutting it, then we'll go outside to find some. It shouldn't discourage the people who are here who are stars. Stars will rise to the top. Everyone else -- let them leave. To some extent. We need their hours. But we can find replacements. Unless you're a star you're just an interchangeable part anyway.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar