The rumor here is that one of our smaller practice groups is about to get poached by a competitor. They've made an offer to bring over the undisputed stars of our practice and let them be in charge of building a world-class practice over there, from scratch. It's a tempting offer that I would almost certainly take if I were in their shoes -- they'll have more power and influence there than they do here, and an opportunity to really move their careers to the next level. It would, however, leave our practice in complete disarray and probably lead to most of the people who remained leaving for other pastures pretty quickly. These things set off chain reactions. The concern, from their perspective, is that this other firm is less stable than we are, and there's a real risk that what looks like a great opportunity now could turn into a failed experiment and unemployment just a short ways down the road. Of course, unemployment doesn't really mean unemployment -- I'd imagine we'd probably take them back, unless our ego gets in the way. We don't like to be passed up for opportunities elsewhere. We like to think we're better than everyone else. But so does everyone. Personally, I know there are lots of people who could do my job better than I do. But I don't dwell on it. I just accept my lot in life. To get paid an implausible sum for being decent but unspectacular at what I do, and buying a new set of golf clubs as often as it seems reasonable.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar