We're doing our last set of on-campus interviews next week, so I'm going to probably make the trip, do some interviews, and hopefully find some good candidates. My heart's not quite in it as much after we finish dealing with the students from my alma mater, which came earlier in the process. I've noticed among my colleagues that most of us feel a certain amount of ownership when it comes to our law schools, and we fight harder for candidates from our schools even if on paper there's no reason for it. Intellectually I don't really think that I got a better education than people who went elsewhere, or that I'm a better person because I went there, but I still look at the numbers in every entering associate class and hope I can get "my people" to take their offers so we can have a bigger presence at the firm than we otherwise would. I'll admit I'm not completely unbiased in the recruiting process. If you go to my school, if you have interests like the ones I used to have before I became a lawyer, if you find a way to tell me you're a Dodgers fan, if you're nice to the recruiter who brings you by, if you don't mention the weather (you wouldn't believe how many people open with something about the weather, especially since there's really nothing to talk about here related to the weather except that it's just like yesterday), then I'm predisposed to like you more, and to look at your candidacy more favorably.



I interviewed a candidate last week who made a marginally sexist remark during the interview. Something that, if I was a woman, would probably not be enough to disqualify him, but would send up a red flag. But, me, I kind of liked it. He won points. Because he wasn't being "too careful" like so many law students are, afraid to say what they're really thinking. He had some spark. I like that. He got an offer. It's that kind of thing that makes me feel good about the process, like I'm making a difference.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar