Can you be my mentor?

Anyone who has spent a day with me knows that mentoring plays a key part of my life.  I frequently have the life of a lawyer chats with junior lawyers where we discuss how their week has been, what they are working on, what they want to work on and checking in on the goals they have set for the year.  

I will never say no to a request to have a chat and look to develop a mentoring relationship.  What I am becoming surprised about is the requests I am receiving which state at first instance 'I want you to be my mentor'.


While that is flattering, I don't think it is beneficial to any party to simply state that they have a mentoring relationship.  A beneficial mentoring relationship is built over time where a true relationship is formed and both the mentor and mentee work out their common ground and how they can each help each other.


A few tips when approaching someone to be your mentor:


  • Find out about your mentor and what area of business they are in.
  • Jot down some notes about how you think your mentor can help you achieve your goals.
  • Review your career plan and goals to make sure it is up to date to send through to your mentor.
  • Be realistic about timing and expectations.  A good mentor is likely busy with a number of other projects, work and life.  If they cannot see you for a few weeks, don't become despondent!
  • Show initiative - it is up to you to continue the relationship.
Good luck with your mentoring relationship!  

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar